Tuesday, July 14, 2009

photos to come, looking for upload cords.

It has been a very long time since I have been regularly blogging. Emma coming home and adding extras to the household took a toll on me.

Erin and Lara have moved out. Josh hopes to be on his own in a couple weeks. He is spending time with his girlfriend so no extras are in the home any longer. I could feel the relief on Sunday…it was so nice to have just the kids and I together for a day.

Many of you are now on my facebook so up on current family events.

For those who do not know I lost a friend, a college, a sister in the passion of adoptions. Byrd and Melanie Billings were murdered in their home in North Florida. They had adopted 12 children of which I believe six have Down syndrome. Melanie’s daughter Ashley is carrying on her legacy and stepping in to keep the children together. The men responsible have been located and will pay for what they have done although that will never put this family back the way it was.

My check in day to this hospital was very stressful.. I was/am anxious for this to be over. (Emma’s heart repaired)
We left home about 8 am so that we could be well on the way before SSA would be calling to complete a phone interview for Emma’s SSI. The drive to open heart surgery also Incorporated dropping four of the children off to camp for the week.. The interview while driving was not one of my smartest moves although the first available appointment and I needed to get this completed. So that is another piece of the blog…

Once the interview was done we were near the exit to camp…the only problem was I could not locate the directions for exact exit information.. I had asked Mandie to text mapquest but that wasn’t in. I was able to call the camp to get the route 64 info to use as a guide.

Once the kids were checked in I had an hour to get Emma to pre-op. I get to the hospital just in time, headed to admissions where I was informed that they were going to be calling Emma--- BABYGIRL and then to pre-op. Once in pre-op they decided they would not be able to take the court order because they felt the word medical coverage consent was to get insurance not medical care???? Then she said she went to nursing school not to be an attorney.. I got my attorney on the phone and he was flippin… He is an attorney and the court order is secure for this surgery. The drama elevated to the hospital’s risk management for a final decision. I was having the tour of the cardiac unit and getting some answers to questions and other questions rising from information. I learned the surgeon would not be closing Emma up.. I learned that wires will be what puts her rib cage back together and the wire stays in and will fuse into the bone as she grows. I learned no pictures, I learn that

The Ronald McDonald house is miles away and directions from the doctor and the direction from the hospital are different. I decide to go with the directions provided by the packet given initially from the surgeon’s office.


----------- it has turned into a bit more than I expected. Little Emma will not calm herself and is causing herself more trauma so I am patting her little behind. stroking her and doing my best to keep her calm as the morphine is going into her as well.