Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Count down to school year 08-09

We met with the first schools open house last night... Kaitlyn in middle school...YIKES!
I was pleased to see her scheduled had the classes she wanted as her first pick. She is carrying a full load including her first time in band. Learning music notes A NEW SET OF FLASH CARDS.

The school is new and very big. We went to each teacher and met them face to face with about 300 other students/parents/families. I am not clear on how her IEP will be met as the teachers didn't seem to be aware they were getting Kaitlyn... I am not clear when they get their students IEP folders.... I went to Guidance to discuss the para who will be working with Kaitlyn. when I got to a group of paras, they wanted to see her schedule. Claiming a 6th grade para would be in charge but they saw something wrong with the schedule... The statement was "I see a problem" She is in reading first thing in the morning. This is not how we do it. Then I hear, "well I will not be in there with her, she will be on her own." I said I am not concerned with her reading class I am concerned with her having help from the bus ramp to her first class in finding the building and classroom...with out being placed in harms way. They looked dumbfounded as I wasn't following how it is suppose to be. I have her in GEN ED classes. They then ask what setting has she been in???? I said Elementary School K thru 5th. What setting has all these other students been in? My daughter Keirsten (14 yrs) asked me if this is a prep school...... guess things were getting a little confusing.

I went to the office to introduce Kaitlyn to the staff and asked to talk to the assistant principle. He seemed nice enough and invited us to come back Friday at 1:30 for a tour. I told him we came through the front door and Kaitlyn will arrive on the bus so I need for her to walk the path to her first class to prepare her for Monday... He said this would be fine for Friday.. I asked if her para would be there. He said they all start working Friday but he wasn't sure what was on her plan for that day. I have a strong desire to go get Kaitlyn a cell phone....

Walking to the band room was a bit tricky and I saw many distraction for Kaitlyn to wonder to the gym, the ticket booths, or a number of other exciting looking spots on campus. Hope she has a fellow student helper to assist her to band...

I signed up for EVERYTHING PTA, SAC, Volunteer..... Signed Kaitlyn up for inventors club, spirit club as well. I want her in sports and as much as I can get her into.

So home we go and Cape Elementary is Thursday afternoon, Caloosa middle Thursday evening and Friday is Skyline..

MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY they are all so ready to get back into school and mommy is right there with them.

KAITLYN 'S SCHEDULE
CHALLANGER MIDDLE- TEAM COLTS!


8:46 am LEAVE HOME: Bus #122

ARRIVE AT SCHOOL: BUS RAMP

9:35-11:28 am PERIOD #1 & #2
ROOM 121 I.A. Reading Mrs. Whitman

11:31am-12:46pm PERIOD #3
LUNCH-----??? 25 minutes of this class????
ROOM # 124 MATH Mrs. Hein

12:49-1:34pm PERIOD #4
ROOM #120 Language Arts Mrs. Vagi

1:37-2:22pm PERIOD #5
ROOM #123 World History Mr. Huber

2:35-3:10pm PERIOD #6
BUILDING 2 ROOM 110 BAND Mr. Daniels

3:13-3:58pm PERIOD #7
Room #126 Science Mrs. Firrincieli