Friday, February 13, 2009

Kaitlyn's new school

When we got to the school everyone was ready for us. I brought in a case of coloring books to donate to the Life skills classroom. My way of learning more about that program to "know" it is not for Steven....future planning.

I filled out the paperwork; all the administration welcomed us to the school. We then walked her schedule, the asst. principal, her 2nd period teacher myself and Kaitlyn each having a copy and started at the Bus drop off. We talked about the amount of kids moving in the halls and her need to "step up the pace" a little to get to class. She was excited to see peers and said Hi to all students she passed. Everyone was responsive to her in a positive way. we went to Math first, everyone welcomed her, then to Language arts as this teacher was walking with us and her period hadn't started yet so it was an empty classroom. Kaitlyn walked around the room and checked out the desks since they are different than her prior school. She checked out the entire room and we moved on to the next building. We went from building 5 to 4 then building 2, we explained she needs to stay focused when transitioning .. Big numbers on the outside of each corner of each building. The next move is from building 2 to 9!! a long jog to science. All the teachers were receptive and now she is "general ed" 3 classes; Science, Social Studies and computers. The teachers were upfront with their interest to learn and that they hadn't done what I am asking before but are excited to work with the district myself and especially Kaitlyn. Lots of YOUNG teachers...I am excited to work with this school.. I felt welcome, I felt respected and received with open attitude. I am really excited although not the PERFECT inclusive schedule it is meeting in the middle and I am excited for that today.

I offered to send in things I have from home which again was received well.. Kaitlyn and I went home and made card stock BINGO- 3 different sets--Parts of speech, Synonyms, Homonyms and Punctuation for her to take in which is exactly what one teacher has on a wish list!! Lots of language/reading materials related to how to teach a student with "Down syndrome". I have the EDMARK license, I bought, which I can send in for her computer time and the computer instructor is open and excited to learn about even more programs as I told her about SMILES..... not one closed idea today... All open and willing.

I am excited for Kaitlyn on this campus and knowing my Steven will follow.... all of the classrooms LOOKED like middle school, ACTED like middle school, FELT like middle school....and modified to allow Kaitlyn to be successful among her peers.... Day 1 was just what I needed.