Wednesday, March 4, 2009

the day of ups and downs

I feel like I should be out at the fair because this day is more like riding a roller coaster.. I wake up thinking it is going to be an easy morning. Steven, Jordan and Tressa have an appointment at the ENT at 9:15 so only Lucas is riding the early bus. I can relax, serve breakfast and see that the teens get off to middle school and ease out into Ft Myers to fill the van with gas and be at the Doctors at 9:15.. I had the plan.

In the plan I did not figure I would have left the ignition on in the van upon returning home last night while ejecting the DVD from the player I must have hopped out of the van with the kids not paying attention to the BUZZER alerting me the keys are in the ignition and your battery will be DEAD in the morning if you leave in this fashion...Didn't hear it....

As we load the van with excitement , I can not find my keys... I look a few minutes and go to the drawer for the extra set... I hop into the driver seat and there they are. and no we are not going anywhere..

I call Michelle who is about 20 minutes away if she ran out the door. She is still sleeping.

The next door neighbors are leaving so I run to ask them if they can spare a couple minutes... He was on edge as they were running late and nagging her about it but agreed.. Once next to the van I guide them to THE WRONG SIDE OF THE VAN...ugh. then she makes the comment she has bigger jumper cables than me... not sure why that comment was made.. He changes his ruck to the other side and begins to hook the cables.. She tells me he is grumpy and she will hear of it so a few fresh cookies will make good on the help... I whisper into Jordan's ear to run into the deep freezer and grab a box of girl scout cookies.. He grabs the ONLY box of Samoas because I am the only one who likes coconut.... what could I say! I watch MY samoas go into their smiling faces and after about 5 minutes of charging the van turned over and we were off to the Doctor in time...no stopping for gas until after the appointment..
At the Doctor, Steven get a great re-check from post surgery, he ill go back in 30 days for a hearing test. Tressa is up and the explanation is...HER EARS HAVE HAD A TRAIN WRECK! He said her ears are both full of puss and not looking good and the right is really bad... he called in his nurse and told her to schedule surgery for tubes... I quickly say--tomorrow please we are heading out to Seattle.. He squeezes us into Friday morning. Jordan has a perfect exam other than a professional ear cleaning and hearing exam shows normal hearing 20 disciples.


After the Doctor with there in toe I told them I was VERY PROUD of them waiting alone in the waiting room a couple times while I was needed with only one of the kids... We are stopping at the Dollar store and they get to choose anything they want--ONE THING! The store is HUGE, i love this everything is a dollar. Jordan went right for some paper plates with the Easter Bunny on them and heading to the toy department. This Frito Lays guy was in the store and in the kids way to dash to the isles. Steven had two things in hand when I approached. Tressa chose a sling shot airplane. She wasn't letting go, that was her choice. Again this Frito lay guy is getting stock into the store and seems to be making it an obstacles course for us.. Steven passes the next isle and switches his choice and then hits the book area and makes the last choice a printing book with Scooby Do...and YES when we go to the check out the Frito Lay guy is tripping over us or us him...I then stop and look eye to eye and tears are running down his face. He can't take his eyes of my boys. He stops to explain he lost a daughter with Down syndrome and watching them in the store was tearing him up. Jordan gave him a hug, he left to the back room to express his emotions privately. We checked out and noticed his truck in the parking lot. Steven jumped out of our van and put a Down syndrome magnet on the driver door of the truck to let him know we will remember him. It was touching.

We raced to the Cape Coral bridge when the gas light went on. I turned into the racetrack gas station and found that their key pads outside were not working.. I did move to two different pumps before discovering this and walking inside the store to pay the line is LONG...the kids are in the van with their items and I can see them.. My cell phone is ringing because I can see Jordan trying to figure out how to answer it....

We go to drop Steven off at school and Tressa is crying her ear hurts and I know going to the school and Tressa not going in will set Jordan off so we are going to have a calculator class at home today. I got each of them the big desktop calculators and I got a poster board to make a sample to put on the walk much like and over head to help them learn to use a calculator.

The day has been going well. We have our last home visit from the social worker to finalize the adoption of Lucas today. I could use a Samoa right now.....LOL