Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My weekend...etc


55 lbs of crab legs, 15 lbs of shrimp, pot luck cold salads, cooler of beers and lots of warm friendly people makes for a GREAT PARTY
I left for Ft Lauderdale as planned on Saturday. I stopped at North Collier Hospital on the way to drop off packets for new parents with baby's who have Down syndrome. The hospital security was tight so I was not able to meet the two new moms . The charge nurse come out and got their packets along with extras for future families. I had stamped my contact information inside the covers so they can reach out for support when they are ready.

Once on the road I was taking my time, getting coffee, gas and exploring all the new development as our area of the country is growing leaps and bounds.

Once in Ft Lauderdale we gathered the party items and headed to Jim's home where I was the new girl...(guest) Nancy's family has hear of me for years although we have never met. The home is your typical South Florida older home which has been renovated to their family style. Boating teak wood is found all over the home. They have it in place of marble window sills and many areas as shelves or edging. The bamboo floor mixed with their personal style brought much character to the home. The family was welcoming with many questions as to bits and pieces they knew from Nancy about me. One of Nancy's sister in laws lives in the Seattle area which I will be visiting this month. She works in a large library, we hope to meet up while I am out there for eight days. She is amazing for a women who has not had children, her intuitiveness for the compassion it requires to be a good parent is natural. The rest of the guests were equally interested in getting to know me along with other first year quests to their annual long time crab boil. One family had just learned their 7 year old has Turner syndrome , same disability as my great niece and I was able to learn more and get contact information so they can be an Internet support for my niece in time.

The night was great; Standing at the table cracking crab legs and some awesome spiced shrimp dipping into multiple sauces/butters was a treat FOR HOURS. Nancy was sure to have one of my hands clutching a blushing goose at all times..being as thirsty as I was, that was fine with me.. My surprise was about 9 pm when an old advocate friend of mine showed up at the party completely a surprise to me..He is an amazing Veterinarian in Coral Springs. A man who never had children although stepped up to advocate for his nephew and then moved into the role as the Uncle advocate for all children in Florida mainly, Broward county. He has a case load of many from foster care children with isabilities, where he has telling stories which are near to my experiences in my career..

Sunday I awoke at a normal time "for me," although not everyone wakes at the crack on dawn I learn..The hour or so of total silence was seemingly odd for me to deal with...I didn't know what to do...I made a cup of coffee, got dressed to begin my journey home and then what???? I thought it would be rude to just leave when they were all sleeping... I had said I would leave by noon ---but if I am sitting alone, shouldn't I get on the road???...what do you do with nothing to do??? I was in unfamiliar territory.. Is this what you all call relaxing?? It sure felt odd - wasteful of time actually. In time, they woke and the morning visit was short, sweet and I was on the road home to see my family from the North.

I need to do this more often so it feels more normal for me to "relax."