Wednesday, September 24, 2008

coffee break, blonde and sweet

I have a few things brewing.. a couple of articles sent to me about DS issues. One a family in Erie PA that has not given their son with DS direction like any parent should any child. It is so important for parents to forget their child has Down syndrome because too many places in our lives we will have it thrown in our face.. I never care about reports that spell out what my child can not do.. I want to hear where my child is today and what we hope to gain next.. Lets look at the bright side of life. I would hate to have a list of all the things I can not do in my face every time I went to a meeting nor would I ever want to discuss my medical background related to my name. Hysterectomy Mom, Mary. Yeah I love it...NOT.

So I replied to a couple newspapers asking them to write follow up stories to show America what our kids CAN DO. A good NIKE commercial related to DS...

I would love a blog of everything I would want the next president to know about raising kids with disabilities. The truth on all sides. I can see many sides being the adoptive parent I do not have the inner guilt I hear from some parents. Being a past government employee I know the budget(truth and fiction) issues and in social services I got first hand insight on some people who just use the system and never make effort to be independent. I am surrounded by hard advocates wanting total independence for their children and some who are not on the front lines, for many reasons. I am a people watcher so this is all like me being a sponge of information. I then am able to access where it is I want to go with my own children.

The other HOT TOPIC is Mrs. Palin and what she can do to help our children get total positive awareness for a brighter future... I am thrilled about the social media awareness she has brought out. PODS POWER MOM! for those not aware..PODS is Parents of Down Syndrome. No, not people first language, because developed prior to that social change. Another HOT TOPIC