Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day of volunteering

I spent the day in front of Walmart collecting money for our holiday party and helping educate families in Cape Coral. BOY DO WE NEED HELP!

I found that many people still pity our children. NO NO NO My child needs no pity, she need opportunity! Then the topper was this young man.. probably one of those who have made a U-TUBE video...He came up during a busy moment and dropped a dollar into the bucket with a tilted head he said what's this for. I quickly said we are having a holiday party for families raising children with disabilities,we need to collect for expenses. He said great..and left. He comes back about 20 minutes later and says to me... You know I am so lucky we never had any of those god for sake ill kids with those horrible diseases in our family..... I take a VERY DEEP BREATH and begin to show him a picture of my beautiful daughter. At that very moment the manager of Walmart and the Sheriff deputy approach me to discuss other options for party help, my mind is twisting from one focus to another and my phone is ringing--been there right???. The young naive lad continues to offer his help at the party so maybe we could use him to set up, cook WHATEVER, he states--he works at Rumrunners restaurant in town and he continues on about his ill feelings of people who have disabilities. I ask him for his name and number so maybe we could have some private time to discuss how he might be useful for our group....... I needed him to LEAVE!!! Kaitlyn was due to come around the corner at any minute as she went into the store to go get a cheese burger from McDonalds (yes she is capable of doing that LOL) and in no way would I want this to be her social experience to such words he was using. SO tomorrow after coffee I will call the lad and invite him into the world of PODS Angels (PARENTS) in a nice way educate him on love he is missing out on in life. Ironically, I got him to put our Down syndrome magnet on his NICE CAR and he proudly drive by and honked so I knew he had it displayed proudly... I thumb up'd him and motioned I will call you tomorrow.... Lord, you will guide me with this young pup I am sure.

We made a small dent in our goal to get the hall fees paid although many folks said they are going to call to express their concern that the Hall fees are even put on us... One can only hope. Another option is moving the event to another location and having that donated to us. One day at a time. I will blog more tomorrow I am tired and have been away from the house all day so tat is where my attention needs focused.

Oh, Tressa failed to cooperate during home work time and ripped up her work stating she will just take the ZERO! ugh...after a day of trouble trying to take her clothes off in school???? ATTENTION...and camp (HER BIRTHDAY) is Friday.