Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday mornings

It is wonderful outside this time of year. The kids woke up all extra early like their usual weekend morning is. By 8 am breakfast if over and they are outside playing before the sun is completely up. Our home faces to the east so the back can be a bit chilly in the shade of early morning. I sit on the back porch sipping hot coffee watching the kids play, rocking in a comfy chair. Steven is a sand box box. He can sit and pour sand for an entire day is left to do so. With a little encouragement he moves to the swings, with one eye on the items he has in the sand pile to pour to be sure no one runs off with his items. Kaitlyn is Mother Hen to Lucas trying to get him to d this and do that..He is frustrated and runs from her after time. He would love to be left to his own meandering about the back yard searching for what ever comes his way. Kaitlyn then moves to jumping on the trampoline with her ipod on and Jordan drives about the Yard in his 4X4 truck offering rides to siblings and some make believe friends. He is busy in charge of his early morning life. Tressa is not my outdoors girl much of the time. She has planted herself with a container of new play-do. She loves to make and create things with her skills and imagination. I see many OT skills improving; her hand strength as she squeezed the dough through a cylinder making a long roll, then cutting it with plastic scissors into smaller logs. She then is rolling the parts into flat pieces and using cutters to make bears and putting into a box... making gifts she said. All peaceful on a Sunday morning. One thought you will not hear me mention much is it is these moments I wish I had a partner to share this with. Seems almost romantic to me.. I am aware many men do not enjoy parenting as much as I do.

It is the Sunday before Thanksgiving which is not a stress for me, even knowing 24 people are coming over. I only worry about getting the house "clean" my kind of clean. With the grown kids helping out with making dinner these days, Thanksgiving is not so overwhelming as when they were all small. My mind is stressed about the month of December and making Christmas here for some very Americanized children understand what a recession means; to the spirit of receiving. I am not worried too much about many of the kids here. Some, I am sure I could re-wrap their toys they haven't played with in time and they would equally excited. I am sure the worry I put on myself is for not. My focus this year is on educating about greed and how our economy got us where we are. This is where my mind is this morning and most likely from the TV left on overnight, hearing the infomercials about feed the children here in the US /as my mind was awakened today. The thought that children in the US can be starving and in the same country several jets were flown to Washington DC to be be there for hand outs for our tax dollars at 20K jet travel each makes me ill. I hope people respond to this act and send emails, letters, protest to the greed and wake up AMERICA, I do not expect every person to go to the extent I have to help society. I pray they do something. My family knows that greedy kids get what??? NOTHING!