Thursday, January 29, 2009

Big school issues have my blood boiling!

It has been some time since the need to vent on school issues. It is time to catch you up.

Kaitlyn is 14 years old. She has Down syndrome which requires additional support to her educational needs. We have her IEP which is loaded with necessary supports for her to be successful. Kaitlyn has been in general education classes her entire educational setting up until 6th grade. THIS YEAR. In her general education setting her work was modified because of her needs. This year I opted to allow her to be self contained in Math because it is so difficult for her. Now I wish I didn't. She needs to learn correct use of a calculator. She made wonderful gains each year in elementary school. The last couple years 3rd thru 5th grade gave great inspiration because Kaitlyn would shine when given more challenges and her reading was improving with each year. Kaitlyn attended their class trip, out of town for weekends. She was one of the popular girls on campus. In local stores all her peer approach her on first name basis. Kaitlyn had lunch on the picnic tables with her CIRCLE OF FRIENDS. Life was great for Kaitlyn and her spirit indicated her desire to be at school among her peers.

Middle school has not embraced her at all. The school has put every wall up possible and have been the least receptive to help from myself, the prior school, district people I have sought out to help. At the beginning of school Kaitlyn brought home vocabulary words well above her reading level (capability) She couldn't understand them and furthermore couldn't articulate the word to even pronounce it correctly. I then knew the teacher needed help to understand Kaitlyn takes alternate assessment and they need to follow her IEP not the sunshine State standards (teaching to the FCAT) It was disheartening to watch the fire leave Kaitlyn about her education. The flare she had in elementary school to be a part of her peers was quickly fading. The school resisted any disability awareness training. They refused to even allow access to campus. THEN, to have these same teachers STAFF AT HER MIDDLE SCHOOL out in the general public using my daughters name going on and on in conversation about "WHAT A JOKE IT IS" to have Kaitlyn in general education. Talking about how she is not accepted by her peers and made fun of They pointed out many things belittling her....It was very clear they THEY did not feel her presence was important that THEY were not embracing her in THEIR (teachers/administration) "circle" MIDDLE SCHOOL. I was fired up mad and just wanted to blast an email, call the local paper and media to blow the entire situation out of the water BECAUSE....

Kaitlyn's vocabulary words for this week are:

1. gladiator
2. rhetoric
3. anatomy
4. satire
5. ode

Please tell me the definition to theses words.

Her documented reading level was 2.4 year 2007-2008 and this year they state 1.8 as she has lost many skills since school began.

I emailed the teacher a complete modified curriculum to chapter #5 months ago so they could see how it all works-- NOT ONE PIECE of my hard work was administrated to her at school. I handed it to them, FOR THEM, no work other than follow directions... Not a part of it was given to her.

I am so sick with the attitude of this school. They act like they are so riotous, actually their actions show how ignorant they really are. They have patronized my daughter in the fact they have given her 100% A+ on tests and her report card for other students to hear..be aware of..I am sure that goes over well for acceptance with peers. She can not even read the words they claim she read and got the right answer. I can visually see her getting excited and being loud to say "I got a hundred" A+ loud and very dramatic because she has NEVER been a straight A student.. Effort yes but she works hard to get her IEP goals mastered. I am sure the students laugh and the teachers DO NOTHING to curb this behavior and MAKE HER LOOK DIFFERENT... I am not pleased, I can feel her pain. I have professionals in my home and one being a behavioral Analyst who has seen the changes... It needs turned around NOW and I think a post back in November says the same!!! I am done waiting...

Example

Here is her paper she got a 100% on


She wrote the definition of-

Hatshepsut- SHE CAN NOT EVEN SAY THIS WORD!

tribute-

Theses-

incense-

Tutankhamen-


HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a 100% are they kidding me..making her look strange in front of her peers.. I believe the school has set her up BAD! they have not encouraged and actually have taught peers not to be accepting of her. The school put this in place for her to fail!!! The school FAILED bad for my daughter and I am not happy!


Here is an A+ question

The Paleolithic people were able to survive because they used? AND SHE GOT THAT RIGHT!

sure she did...She couldn't even tell me any part of what that meant. They are trying to make make her look like a fool. I will not stand for this another day.


The Babylonian king Hammurabi is best known for his? SHE GOT THIS RIGHT TOO!!!

A+ 100%


What in the heck is going on?????????????????

I find many many papers where they give her the vocabulary words and answers and ask her to "COPY" from their paper to a school "lined paper" Kaitlyn mastered copying many years ago and has PERFECT penmanship so neither are goals or skills on her IEP.

here is a free hand paper written during her down time which I am sure is most of her day.. AT SCHOOL

"my mom is so happy at me ages mom. I LOVE YOU mom my mom picks me up now mom my dog is sammy so pray for you"

That is Kaitlyn's work with no supports and services!!! I have notebooks loaded with success from 5th grade for fractions, reading, spelling, science, etc.... I have these items in 3 ring binders showing how it is suppose to work.

THIS IS A CRIME!

I am off to try to get time with the Superintendent of our school district to put all of this on his desk for him to explain to me. How have they taught my daughter this year and what has she learned because her report card has straight A's .

Update: I have been able to speak to the 2ndary operations which oversees the middle school trying to work in the general education section so they can get on board with IEP laws but when he said to me that i need to realize the words are going to get much harder as she advances to higher grades I knew he didn't "get it" either.. WE NEED HELP HERE!!!!! I have been begging for inclusion experts to come in and teach our county but we are not moving forward here..it is a snails pace for the little that is happening.. It is scary for my 14 year old...

I am requesting matrix number and exact figure for funding and the application for Mac Kay although I am sure I will stay in the public school system because they need me here I want the application approved and the ability to have control of her placement. She has been neglected long enough this school year. Her future is too valuable to let another day pass with out change.

the ESE and parent liaison departments have been sent this blog post so the ball is in their court right now for action. I will keep you posted. Kaitlyn is asleep with a little cold thinking she is home to get rest.... SHE IS MY PRIORITY!