Friday, January 30, 2009

HELP! we all need to help make change

I have gotten three calls in the last two days from parents who are very concerned about what their children are really learning. Kids in Middle school who never read a book (the family can see) gets a reward for reading...his FCAT level is a 3 in the 8th grade. Math is a one!!!!! scary.

Last night my EIGHT GRADER was making hot chocolate and said..Mom I can't figure this out..I need to know how many times eight goes into 24. she seemed puzzled. I looked at her and said "are you kidding me" being sure she wasn't joking. I then said, Well 8 and 8 is 16 so what is 8 more..... after a long pause she said with a question in her tone 24? I said yes. She said so how many is that? EIGHTH GRADE FOLKS!!!! same child can not tell time to save her soul, runs for an analog when asked what time it is. Yet she just got; Student of Merit. Never does her home work, fights about anything to do with school work. Focus is social life and make up....huge struggle (she has ADD)

Her "face has been in a book" most of this school year. First time ever but never do you hear her talk about what she has read, discuss an opinion on the new information she has obtained. Never recommends the book or has anything to share about it... When I read a book I usually recommend it to or offer my opinion..share the highlights or comment it wasn't very good... SOMETHING!! Avoiding house chores, etc...she has to "read."

Her FCATS have been well below grade level and yet these kids are being pushed through to adult society... OUR FUTURE! Where is the breakdown, what has happened? How come school isn't exciting? Eighth grade for me was exciting. I realized the world was out there for me. My history teacher made it so exciting to be on top of world events, have us give input, opinions....active learning. Math has never been my strong point although I remember Mr. B having me do some activities to "get it" and then taught me how to work the calculator as a tool to help because I will have access in the real world to use it so why not teach me how to be proficient with it early so I do not loose total interest.

Another family is so stressed out at home lord only knows how she is dealing with any school issues.. lack of funding here has some families with children who have disabilities maxed out because they do not have supports. Many moving to Florida blind to the fact our state is NOT able to take care of their people already here. And now we are heading for more cuts..

Our social services needs to get creative prevention in place. I saw that the child protection agency has their focus in this direction and put out a public announcement to that effect. Possibly they shifted some funds to help the stress in families..RESPITE!! families need a break. We need collaboration between the services and our community.. If the agency can give a night out a business in town offers a discount dinner or movie to the parent..

Well so much out there to be done to "hold on" thru these times.

I can say my family today is well. I made many transitions prior to the actual down fall as I saw it coming years ago and prepared. We have in home help, I cut back to be able to "get by" I have contacts in place so the kids have a gift on their Birthday, a day out each week. I hope to share with others so their family can be at peace with supports and services in place as well.

I wish everyone more than just "living" make a difference.... Make change!

If we all do just a little.........
GO volunteer at your neighborhood school! Even their after school program help with homework.
or:
1. check on a neighbor.
2. Drop off a small gift to the local school (they know what families are hurting)
3. Buy some books to give out at the food stamp office.
4. offer to babysit for a family and be prepared for the ride! (our kids are tough)
5. make a meal and take it to the homeless shelter, Unwed Mothers or Ronald McDonald house

Just do something.