Friday, October 17, 2008

FAMILIES AS FACULTY

Families as Faculty is a program I got involved in a couple of years ago. It is us as parents presenting to a class of graduating Educators out at Gulf Coast University. My time was last night. It was very exciting for me to present the parent view on communication with the schools and how important it to our children. I shared a few personal stories and then played a power point which I put together.

There were 18 teachers all very excited to hear from me and a couple who took special interest. In the class one knew all about PWS and another had some information on the disability.

This morning I sent out an email to my local District requesting some trainings for parents from what i heard there seems to be serous lack of parent involvement. In the slightest ways. We will see how that goes. I have asked for many years to be a part of the planning for spending the IDEA parent training funds.. rumor has it this year LSC received 60K although not confirmed, I feel we have a right to know were that money goes. PARENT TRAINING DOLLARS!

My presentatioin ended with my information for contact and I do hope a few contact me as I believe I can assist in thinking outside the box for them.