Thursday, October 9, 2008

In a perfect world...

You know I grew up in a perfect world, so I thought. My childhood memories made life seem so simple, actually perfect. My home was across the street from the city park, down the road (walk) to school and Church wasn't far but we drove because going out for breakfast after and shopping was a Sunday tradition. We would stop by my grandparents for dinner and our day was full. During the week and Saturdays we played in the park, the old sprocket water shaft and all the old play equipment required us to use our imaginations. Our bikes got us to all the neighborhood playmates to collect a crew to play with. We would drag sheets over to to the park to make tents, lots of mud pies and make believe. I had no idea parents were working so hard to make life simple. Today things are so much more complicated for children, have we done them favors?

My memories of children with disabilities is none. Up until my sister met a man who had a sister with Down syndrome I am not sure how close I was aloud to be with children with special needs. I have a cousin with CP and remember his existence but wasn't put into a position to get to know him. When we visited he was in his room and my Aunt Judy would care for him away from the rest of the children. I remember Uncle Jim was a race car driver and I would go see him during drag races in Quad city, Iowa, which I found very fun. I am sure his son with CP (I do not remember his name) would have loved to be in that race car.. Then when my sister married the sister in law with DS (Judy) wasn't a part of much either. I remember she would clean their home, keep to herself.

My first real hands on experiences were getting into social work in Florida. I had two boys on my caseload; one was a teen exploring as teens do so a little startling for me to come on board with. His foster Father was a bit free spirited with him although loved him very much didn't always know how to deal with his behaviors. Then a toddler boy whom I knew needed into an experienced home asap so the same situation didn't occur if I had anything to do with it. I began researching. I found a women in White plains New York who helped me understand the importance of stability and structure for a child with DS and she opened my eyes on their ABILITY. My next experience was sitting with a long time friend who had just gotten blood work from her pregnancy that she may be carrying a baby with DS and needed to get further testing so decide to abort or not. I remember this experience a blur... it wasn't my choice to make as I was the best friend I needed to be supportive. We are both from very strong Catholic backgrounds although our world was shook to the core. Seems like another life to me now. The year 1995. I was able to get the toddler into an adoptive family in 1996 and in 1998 the women from White Plains NY called me about a situation of a homeless family needing a placement for their toddler girl with DS TODAY and not foster care... ???? I had no idea what was about to happen.... God opened the flood gates of my heart. That toddler is now 14 and the gift that took me into a whole new path in my life. Two weeks after placement I met a strong advocate, Renee Whiley and my entire mindset was spun into action for children with disabilities and their ABILITY to become well known to society. and here I am!

So how can I get my children's world as perfect as mine was???? How do you define perfect today? It sure was easier being the child and not the paarent...lol