Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Practice what I preach...

Oh my it is a tough morning. I stayed up past midnight (past my bedtime) talking with Nancy about deep conversations on how to fix the school system... OUCH! We both have a child with a legal, social acknowledged disability whom have IEP's and are easily placed-actually overly placed in ESE settings, where inclusive setting is best. We were not talking about those children. It is the child who has ADHD we both have one and more the ADD capital "A" capital "D" and another capital "D" that are the children we find ourselves most frustrated with. The medication distribution/worry alone a nightmare. I often feel because folks can not physically "see" their disability and it is so complex within each child their needs are over looked. They are shuffled through the system and pushed on to get them through while not grasping basic academics because facing their real needs takes consistent care, assisted technology, thinking outside the box, having a large capacity of human understanding, with time and patience the virtue. Again, I know this child is TOUGH! I am a huge believer it is our environment causing it as well. The foods our children intake or lack there of actual "food" and more chemicals and the mental intake from television, social acceptable or status drives. I was a rebel growing up on these issues and as a parent struggle with the vision of my children striving to keep up. I know many families home school to avoid much of this although for my children I do not feel it is best. If it were just my child with ADHD possibly I would her. The social aspect of being around all the children in school and another structured system I find that my children with disabilities strive in. My drawback is that the school setting doesn't always do it the way it is on paper to be done, (SOME) nor do they feel they have the authority to instill morals/ethics. I find sometimes my/other children have no respect any more for authority and this creates chaos in the school setting. When my child shows that much disrespect to an adult in the school which she would never dare at home, it concerns me.

I need coffee......